This article was co-authored by Catherine Joubert. Catherine Joubert is a personal stylist who works with a wide range of clients on refining their style. She launched Joubert Styling in 2012 and has since been featured on Buzzfeed and styled celebrities such as Perez Hilton, Angie Everhart, Tony Cavalero, Roy Choi and Kellan Lutz.
There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 145,539 times.
Whether you want to look good for a beach party or you are trying to get ready for bikini season, the desire to look good in a bikini is common for many women. Wearing a bikini can be intimidating, especially since people spend most of their time fully clothed. Luckily, with a little effort, the right fitting suit, and a confidence boost, there are ways for you to look your best so you can focus on having fun in your bikini.
Method 1Method 1 of 4:Preparing Your Body Download Article
- 1Eat foods that will reduce bloat. A few days before you plan on wearing a bikini, reduce the amount of carbs and salty foods you take in, such as frozen meals and processed foods. Also, try not to eat gas-producing vegetables such as onions, beans, and broccoli, which may bloat your gut. Instead, try eating cooked spinach, celery, asparagus, and tomatoes, which may actually help you lose water weight because they are diuretics.XResearch source
- 2Drink a lot of water. Keeping your body hydrated will not only make your skin look great, but it will prevent water retention that leads to bloating. Drinking water can stimulate your body to release fluids that will create a thinner appearance. You should be drinking at least eight glasses of water each day to stay hydrated, but more if you are sweating or performing physical activities. XResearch source
- If you find it hard to drink plain water all day, liven up your drink with a slice of cucumber, a few blueberries, or a lemon.
- 3Shave all the right spots. The day before you go swimming, be sure to shave your legs, armpits, and especially your bikini area. Shaving the day before may help prevent stinging if you will be going into a chlorine pool or hot tub. Always shave with shaving cream and a sharp razor that has a moisturizing strip to help prevent razor burn.XResearch source
- Opt for a professional to give you a bikini wax a week before you plan to be in a bikini to remove all signs of hair. These treatments can be expensive, but they will keep you hairless for your bikini.XResearch source
- 4Add in a fitness regime. Whether you do yoga, go jogging, or lift at the gym, find a way to get your heart pumping. Cardio workouts are one of the best ways to shed the pounds to prep for bathing suit season. Exercising is not only good for the outside of your body, but it is vital for your heart to stay healthy. So find an activity that you love and gets your body moving so you can look and feel your best.
Method 2Method 2 of 4:Finding the Right Fit Download Article
- 1Experiment with different styles and fits. Bikinis come in many different colors, patterns, styles, and cuts that all serve to flatter the body differently. If you're not comfortable with a certain fit, don't be afraid to ask a sales associate to help you find the right size and style for your body type.XExpert SourceCatherine Joubert
Professional StylistExpert Interview. 16 April 2019. Try not to concentrate on the tag size, as sizes differ from brand to brand and style to style. Keep in mind, mixing and matching bikini tops and bottoms can help you find the best look.XResearch source
- 2Wear a forgiving top. Every woman is made differently, and this means you have to figure out what your body needs from a suit to look its best. Finding a bikini top that is supportive, and will be flattering, is key to looking great in a bikini. Here are some tips to follow:
- If you are small on top, try tops that have padding or an underwire to accentuate what you do have. You should also look for adjustable straps around the back and shoulders so that you can tighten the top appropriately. Ruffle tops, tri-tops, or bandeau tops are also recommended for you.XResearch source
- If you are bigger on top and need extra support, be sure to look for tops that have underwire and wide shoulder straps.XExpert SourceErin Micklow
Professional StylistExpert Interview. 23 April 2019. These will fit more comfortably than thinner spaghetti straps. Halter tops may be flattering on you as they highlight cleavage. Stay away from strapless bandeau tops and tri-tops.XResearch source
- If you have wider shoulders, try to balance out your look by playing up the bottom and keeping the top subtle. Wear bright colors, fun prints, and embellishments on your bikini bottom, and look for a top that has wider shoulder straps.XResearch source
- 3Compliment your legs with the perfect bottoms. Fortunately, bikini bottoms come in many different cuts and styles that can flatter your unique body type. Whether you want to lengthen your legs or add dimension, there is a style for you. Here are some tips to follow:
- If you have shorter legs or a shorter torso, find a suit that will elongate you. Try a suit that is cut high on the thigh, which is meant to make legs appear longer. This look works on curvy hips and straight hips. Vertical stripes can also help to visually lengthen the body.XResearch source
- If you have a longer body with even longer legs, try suits that have embellishments at the hips and bust. Swimsuits that come with jewels, ruffles, ties, and bows help add dimension to fill you out. Find patterns that have horizontal lines instead of vertical, and look for bright colors.XResearch source
- 4Create curves for a narrow body. If you lack curves on the top or bottom, find a suit that creates some. High-waisted bottoms, bikinis with ruffles and bows, and strapless suits are a great look for you. Try wearing a solid color on the bottom with a fun printed or embellished top to create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Stay away from wearing the same solid-color on the top and bottom and don't wear vertical lines.XResearch source
- 5Find a suit with proper coverage. If you are big on the bottom, try a mini-skirt bikini bottom for great coverage. If you want to wear ruffles or bows, save that for the bikini top. Look for bottoms that are smooth and will not add volume to your bottom half. Also, stay away from loud prints and bright colors.XResearch source
Method 3Method 3 of 4:Enhancing Your Bikini Look Download Article
- 1Moisturize your skin. Lotion can help revitalize and moisturize dry patches to make your skin look vibrant. Apply a body lotion from your shoulders down to your toes before you put your bikini on. Make sure you rub the lotion all the way into your skin using gentle, circular motions.
- 2Apply a spray tan. This is a great way to make you look thinner, and cover up any bruises or blemishes. Simply head to your nearest drug store to pick up a spray tan product. To apply, exfoliate your skin with a wash cloth, and then rub or spray on the tanner. Be sure to follow the directions on the package for proper application.XResearch source
- If you do not want to give yourself a spray tan, try going to a professional. Most tanning salons offer spray tan services. Keep in mind, they can be expensive.
- 3Wear a bikini cover-up. A great way to feel more confident, and add style to your bikini look is to wear a cover-up. These come in a variety of styles, such as a cotton jersey halter, a fringe wrap skirt, or a lace kimono. They are the perfect thing to wear when you are not swimming, but just hanging out near the water because they allow you coverage without having to get completely dressed.
- 4Accessorize with a hat. Sun hats are a great way to protect your skin and look super chic. Try looking for a straw hat to match your bikini vibe. Regardless of what some may think, everyone can pull off a sun hat, especially when it is being worn with a bikini.XResearch source
- 5Create the look of a slimmer waist. One way to slim down your waist is to lift the breasts by either wearing a bikini top that has supportive underwire, or by using waterproof medical tape. To use the medical tape, start with the tape under the arm, and bring it inward, pulling the tape so that it lifts your breasts and pushes up your cleavage. You will want to use about three pieces of tape on each side for a secure hold.XResearch source
Method 4Method 4 of 4:Feeling Confident Download Article
- 1Give yourself a compliment before you head out. It is best to be in a positive mental state before you leave your house in your bikini so when you arrive at your destination, you are ready to have fun. Hiding in a corner, walking around slouched over, or deciding that you can't reveal yourself in your bikini after all will only keep you from having the great time you deserve. Before you leave the house, look in a mirror, and try saying the following:XResearch source
- "I look great in my bikini, and I am going to have fun today!"
- "I am a very attractive woman and I deserve to feel good about myself."
- 2Stand up straight. Having proper posture creates flattering lines that will help you look more confident. Simply pull your shoulders back and bring your head up, to look leaner and taller. Imagine your navel being pulled up into your spine to help you pull in your abdomen. Try to remind yourself throughout the day to keep correcting your posture if you find yourself starting to slouch.XResearch source
- Even when you are sitting down, you should be practicing proper posture by sitting with a straight back, your shoulders pulled-back, and your chin up.
- 3Remember that people are focused on themselves. If you are among others in a swimsuit, chances are they are way more concerned about their body than they are yours. Most women have concerns about their bodies and appearance just like you do, and they are also probably looking for ways to look and feel their best in a bikini. If you can let go of your insecurities, and just have a good time, your positive vibes may rub off on those around you to create a more positive atmosphere.
- When you arrive to your event or gathering, focus on everything except your bikini. Think about the friends you are there to meet and laugh with, the relaxation you want to achieve, or the new memories you are going to create. Concerns about the way you look in a bikini should be at the bottom of your list of things to think about.
- QuestionI have been invited to a popular boys and girls pool party but my close friends can't make it. Should I go?Community AnswerIf you want to go, you should go. It sounds like a good opportunity to hang out with some new people.
- QuestionHow can an 11-year-old look good in a bikini?Community AnswerJust pick a color that compliments your skin tone and don't worry about your body, chances are it looks amazing.
- QuestionThere's a guy that goes to my swim team meets, and I want to stand out. What do I do?Community AnswerTo impress him? Cheer on team members AND the opposing team, this could show you're supportive and encouraging. If you're looking to impress him with your capabilities, though, definitely work to get your times down. If you get first, you'll probably catch his attention.
- QuestionHow can I get rid of a muffin top above my bikini bottoms?Community AnswerFind a diet and, possibly, an exercise regimen, that will work for you, and stick to it.
- QuestionHow will I know if a bikini makes me look fat/overweight?Community AnswerYou probably know if you are overweight. A bikini is not going to "make you" look overweight if you aren't. Just make sure it fits properly, so it isn't squeezing.
- QuestionHow can I make my hips look skinnier?Community AnswerCheck out the tips in the wikiHow article Lose Hip Fat.
- QuestionI’m pregnant but I want to wear a bikini what do I do?Just wear whatever you like to the beach. Swimsuits are for everyone there is no need to hide. Every body is a beach body, so go enjoy yourself.
- QuestionWhat should I do if I have belly fat hanging out of the swimsuit?If you want full coverage opt for a one-piece swimsuit with dark colors. This will help you hide any unflattering features.
- Don't let anything get you down! Put a smile on that face and wear your bikini proudly!
- ↑Catherine Joubert. Professional Stylist. Expert Interview. 16 April 2019.
- ↑Erin Micklow. Professional Stylist. Expert Interview. 23 April 2019.
About This Article
Looking good in a bikini is all about finding the right one for your body. If you have a small chest, look for a bikini top with padding or underwire to accentuate your shape. For a bigger chest, go for halter tops or a bikini top with underwire and wide shoulder straps, which will fit more comfortably. If you’re big on the bottom, try a mini-skirt bikini bottom to give you better coverage. You should also opt for dark, block colors, which won’t draw attention to your bottom half. Another way to look good in a bikini, no matter what shape you are, is to use a cover-up, like a cotton jersey halter, a fringe wrap skirt, or a lace kimono. For more tips, including how to make your skin look good in a bikini, read on!