This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 129,553 times.
Oh no! Mother’s Day is just around the corner and you forgot to get a gift for the special mother in your life. If you’re panicking, take a breath, because there are tons of last-minute options that will still sweep your mom off her feet. Even if you have little time and no ideas, there are still lots of easy ways to show your mother that you love and appreciate her on Mother’s Day!
Method 1Method 1 of 4:Making a Gift
- 1Make her some Mother’s Day coupons. A coupon booklet includes things you mother can "redeem" later. These can be personal coupons, housework coupons, or anything else our mom might need help with! Look for good suggestions online, and tailor them to any inside jokes or common things your mother requests from you.
- For example, if your mom is always asking for help in the kitchen, your coupon booklet could include info like "Wash the dishes without being asked" or "Make dinner when you’re tired."
- If your mother hates doing yard work, your coupon booklet could include "Mow the lawn" or "Clean out the old shed."
- For a coupon booklet that’s less about doing "chores" and more about bonding with your mother, prioritize coupons like "Watch your favorite TV show instead of mine" or "Good for 1 backrub."
- 2Create a personalized Mother’s Day card. To make a Mother’s Day card, take printer paper or colored paper and fold it in half. Decorate the front with stickers, hand-made drawings, hearts, and other sweet things, and fill the inside with a note to your mom about how special she is.
- Make sure you sign the card!
- 4Bring her breakfast in bed. If you live with your mother, or live close by, prepare her favorite breakfast before she wakes up. Then, gently knock on her door to surprise her with a tray of food!XResearch source
- Don’t forget to include a cup of her favorite juice or milk.
- Make sure to wake up early enough that you can make and serve the breakfast before she gets up!
- 5Pick her a bundle of wildflowers. You don’t need to get your mother a fancy bouquet to make her Mother’s Day special. A bundle of flowers that you pick yourself from your backyard or nearby park can be just as precious!XResearch source
- 6Bake her cupcakes or a cake. If your mother has a sweet tooth, get out the cupcake tray or cake batter and make her something special. You can even put icing on it or write her name on the cake to make it clear that this is for her on her special day!XResearch source
Method 2Method 2 of 4:Purchasing Something Online
- 1Purchase a future spa day. So maybe you didn’t plan ahead and you can’t schedule a spa day for Mother’s Day itself, but that doesn’t mean you can’t give your mother the gift of relaxation! Call a local spa or use a service like Groupon to purchase a spa gift certificate that she can redeem whenever she wants!
- 2Give her the gift of unlimited magazines. If your mother loves magazines, services like Magzter Gold, Texture, and readily provide "all you can read" magazine subscriptions. Download any of these apps onto your mother’s tablet or smartphone so she can read her favorite magazines whenever she wants!
- 3Ship a book to her house every month for the next year. If your mother loves reading, but struggles to find books she likes, help her find new novels by signing her up for a book of the month subscription on https://www.bookofthemonth.com. This subscription service curates a list of books each month, and gives your mother the option of picking which one she’d like to read before shipping it right to her doorway!XResearch source
- 4Make her life easy with a meal subscription service. Does your mother hate cooking, but do cooking duties often fall on her shoulders anyways? Signing her up for a service like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh is a way to make meal prep so much easier. These services send ingredients and recipes straight to your mother’s door!XResearch source
- 5Sign her up for a clothing subscription service. If your mother loves shopping, bring the clothes to her with subscription services like Stitch Fix and Wantable. These services send fives items of clothing to your mother’s doorstep as frequently as she wants, all chosen for her by an online stylist!
- If you know your mother’s size and style, you can fill out the "Style Guide" for her. If not, both of these services offer gift cards. Load up a gift card and give her the option to choose her size and style whenever she wants!
- 6Try a makeup subscription service if your mother loves cosmetics. For a mixture of hair, makeup, skincare, and fragrance samples, sign your mother up for Birchbox. Or, if your mother prefers wellness and natural products, order her the seasonal Merkaela wellness boxes.XResearch source
- 7Give a tech-savvy mom an Internet subscription service. Services like Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music give your mother a chance to stream music whenever she wants. Amazon Prime gives her free two-day delivery, while video streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go allow her to watch her favorite movies and TV shows at any time.XResearch source
- Note that, for most of these subscriptions, you have to set them up on your mother’s device, so make sure you have access to her computer or tablet before purchasing!
Method 3Method 3 of 4:Planning a Few Days Ahead
- 1Recreate old family photos. Is there a photo of you that your mother loves? Try to recreate the photo as seamlessly as possible. Then, print it out and place it side by side with the original photo. Surprise your mother with this easy-to-make nostalgic gift on Mother’s Day!XResearch source
- For example, if there’s a photo of you as a child with ice cream all over your mouth, try to match your shirt to the shirt you were wearing, and make sure you smear ice cream all over. For bonus points, make it the same color ice cream as the ice cream in the photo.
- 2Make her life easier with Google Home or Amazon Echo. These hands-free devices reply to your mother’s voice and help to answer questions and facilitate day-to-day actions, to make your mother’s life easier and more enjoyable. Choose Google Home if she has an Android, or go with the more flexible Amazon Echo for any type of phone.XResearch source
- Ask your Google Home or Amazon Echo to play your favorite music, read the news, or make calls. They can also answer questions like "How many oz are in a cup?" and "What’s the weather like today?"
- Other types of smart technology control your lights or temperature!XResearch source
- 3Buy her a new purse if hers is getting old. Maybe your mother isn’t into fashion, which is why her purse is getting old with use. All the more reason to get her one! Find great Mother’s Day deals, and make sure you keep her needs in mind when purchasing.XResearch source
- For example, does she need a purse that can fit a laptop? Does she use her purse as a workout bag? Would she prefer something smaller so it can’t get cluttered?
Method 4Method 4 of 4:Arranging a Special Day
- 1Spend the day with her, if you can. If you live with your mother or nearby, spend the day with her. Whether you’re doing something big and pre-planned or just hanging out and gossiping, your mother will love the company and attention.
- Ask her what she wants to do, and make sure you agree! Even if it’s not your favorite thing to do, accompanying her to the movies or to the park will make her day!
- 2Tell her you love her. This seemingly-simple part of Mother’s Day can often be overlooked in the preparation for the holiday, but it can be the thing that changes a regular Mother’s Day to a day worth remembering. When you tell her you love her, focus on why you love her. Highlight the specific things she does that are special to you.
- For example, tell her that you never forgot that one time she woke up early to make your favorite breakfast before an important test or sports game.
- Say that you’re constantly in awe of how she works so hard and is still able to come home and be a fantastic mother.
- Remind her that the little things she does, like buy your favorite ice cream when you’re having a rough day, mean the world to you.
- 3Let her have her way. Maybe her favorite food is something you don’t like, or she loves a TV show you find boring. Whatever it is, make sure you agree to participate in that activity with her. Remember, this is supposed to be her day, so putting her in the spotlight and helping her have the best time is one of the greatest gifts you can give her.
- 4Ask her to tell your stories about her life and childhood. Your mother probably has a whole collection of stories you’ve never heard, and asking her about them is a great way to show that you care about her past as well as her future. Ask her about her childhood adventures or favorite childhood vacations. Have her tell you stories about what it was like when she was growing up, or what she did during her summers off. Give her a chance to tell you about her life, just like you always tell her about yours.
- Don’t interrupt or stop her if she starts telling you a story you’ve already heard.
- QuestionI'm 11 and can't go to buy or cook things alone. Can you help me?Community AnswerYou can make a gift and a card. Look at craft books (or websites, including this one) to see what looks like fun and you would like to make. As for cooking, there are a lot of dishes you can make that do not require cooking -- like salads.
- QuestionHow can I know if a flower is safe to pick?Community AnswerMost flowers are safe to pick, and will not poison you. However, be wary that some people might be allergic to the pollen of the flower, and you might want to avoid giving flowers to small children who tend to put things in their mouths.
- Instead of “real” flowers, make her paper roses that will never wilt!
- Don’t let on that you forgot about Mother’s day, or that could make your mother feel like what you did end up doing was less special.
About This Article
Reader Success Stories
- "The coupon book is a great idea and can be tailored depending on age and how much work you are prepared to do!"