😵😂😷 This article was co-authored by Kelly Medford. Kelly Medford is an American painter based in Rome, Italy. She studied classical painting, drawing and printmaking both in the U.S. and in Italy. She works primarily en plein air on the streets of Rome, and also travels for private international collectors on commission. She founded Sketching Rome Tours in 2012 where she teaches sketchbook journaling to visitors of Rome. Kelly is a graduate of the Florence Academy of Art.
This article has been viewed 306,142 times.
😵😂😷 Want to go sailing but don't have a boat? Don't sweat over it. Chill out and follow this tutorial to learn how to draw a kayak, draw a yacht, draw a rowboat, and draw a sailing ship. If you want to draw a boat, draw an imaginary one or copy a picture from a book or online image.
😵😂😷 Note: follow the red line for each step.
Things You Should Know
- Start by drawing the outline of the boat using basic shapes and guidelines.
- Add details to your drawing, like sails, masts, and siding.
- Clean up your drawing by erasing any guidelines.
Method 1Method 1 of 4:Drawing a Kayak Download Article
- 1Sketch a long oblong.
- 2Sketch a line 2/3 of the oblong.Advertisement
- 3Draw 2 curved line along the mid-line.
- 4Add the primary sketch of the bottom of the kayak.
- 5Draw a curvy line along the primary sketch of the bottom of the kayak. Also, draw the hole for the person to sit on by drawing a half circle.
- 6Sketch a straight line for handle of the oar/paddle.
- 7Sketch the basic shape for the blade of the oar/paddle.
- 8Draw the basic outline of the boat.
- 9Erase unnecessary lines. Put more details into your sketch.
- 10Color the kayak. Use colors that would match the background or colors that create a unique design boat.
Method 2Method 2 of 4:Drawing a Sailboat Download Article
- 1Sketch the main body of the sailboat. Start by drawing a trapezoid shape.
- 2Sketch a line perpendicular to the body of the boat. Next, draw a small trapezoid where this line is connected to the boat.
- 3Sketch another line. This time, place the line perpendicular to the first. Add more details to the stand of the mast.
- 4Add the shape of the sails. Do this by drawing triangles, then add a line just above the body of the boat.
- 5Add the guidelines for the distinct shape of the boat.
- 6Draw the basic outline of the boat.
- 7Erase the pencil marks. Add a few extra details, as you see fit.
- 8Color the boat.
Method 3Method 3 of 4:Drawing a Traditional Ship Download Article
- 1Sketch an upside-down, truncated triangle in the middle of the page. This will be the body of the boat.
- 2Draw a triangle on top of the base.
- 3Draw a few squares on the triangle. These will be the sails.
- 4Outline the shape of the boat. Add in details, such as wooden planks on the boat's body, a small lifesaver, and a mast behind the sails.
- 5Erase the sketch lines. Make the contour stronger.
- 6Add in the color. Follow the illustration for reference or color as you please.
Method 4Method 4 of 4:Drawing a Realistic Style Wooden Boat Download Article
- 1Sketch a big teardrop shape in the middle of the page. This will be the top part of the boat.
- 2Under the teardrop shape draw a long arch. This will be the body of the boat.
- 3Outline the boat's shape. Add in the details, inside and outside of the boat. Follow the illustration for reference.
- 4Erase the sketch lines. Strengthen the contour with a pencil.
- 5Make the boat colorful using the colors of your choice.
- QuestionHow can I draw a sunken ship?Community AnswerFirst, make a basic ship in a slanted position on the page; lightly sketch it so you can easily erase any mistakes. Then, if you're drawing the sunken ship in an ocean, make sure that you draw it as if it were half-buried in sand surrounded by sea plants, coral, etc. Now start adding more details and darker lines to your seafloor/shipwreck sketch. Finally, do the shading and final details (like rust, holes, etc.).
- QuestionHow would I draw a traditional boat sailing straight towards me?Community AnswerMake sure your shading reflects on the water the way a boat facing forward would look, and draw the mast in front. Also, maybe look at an image of a sailboat sailing straight towards the camera for a better idea.
- QuestionHow do I draw a very detailed boat?Community AnswerFirst start out with simple shapes, then start adding detail. It would help to look at reference pictures, and check YouTube for tutorials.
- QuestionHow do I draw a sampan?Community AnswerStart with a simple wooden boat and then add a hood and oars or any other details you want to add.
- Learning to draw is really about learning to see. Study boats each day and draw them until you can get them as close as you can to the real objects you're observing.
- To get better at drawing, make sure to practice blind contour drawings observing objects and people. Do not worry about the results, as the idea is to train your eye to slow down and to work in tandem with your hand.
Things You'll Need
- Sharp Sketching Pencil
- Pencil sharpener
- Eraser gum
- Colored pencils, crayons, markers or watercolors
About This Article
One way to draw a boat is by sketching a sailboat. Start by making the outline of a trapezoid to sketch the main body of the boat. Then, draw a smaller trapezoid in the middle of the boat, with a long line running perpendicular to the body of the boat. Next, draw a right triangle off of the right side of the line, and another, slightly smaller triangle off of the right side of the line. You can make the body of the boat 3-dimensional if you’d like. Once you have the basic shapes, trace the outline and erase the extra pencil marks before filling it in with color. If you want to learn how to draw other kinds of boats, such as a canoe or kayak, keep reading the article!