wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time.
There are 14 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
Hematite is known for its potent protective abilities, but what’s the best way to cleanse it when its healing energies become tangled or faded? Even though it takes its name from the Greek word for blood, hematite is sensitive—it contains iron oxide, meaning it’ll start to rust when it’s exposed to water for too long. Fortunately, there are many ways to safely cleanse hematite stones and jewelry that don’t involve getting them wet. Read on to refresh your hematite and enjoy its dazzling healing powers!
1 1 of 11:Rest it on a moonlit windowsill overnight.
- Moonlight has a pure energy that clears and charges crystals. Lay your hematite stone or jewelry on a windowsill or other safe spot that receives lots of moonlight and let it absorb the rays while you sleep. In the morning, it will be refreshed and energized.XResearch source
- Cleanse your hematite under a full moon for a stronger, longer lasting cleanse.
- Make sure you rest it in a location where it won’t roll away or get knocked to the ground.
2 2 of 11:Expose hematite to direct sunlight.
- Sunlight is a powerful way to cleanse stones and crystals quickly. Lay your crystal on a windowsill or in a safe place outside while the sun’s out, even if it’s a little cloudy (as long as there’s natural light, you’re good). After about 30 minutes, your hematite will be good as new.XResearch source
- Hematite is opaque and is less sensitive to direct sunlight than translucent crystals, which can fade after too much exposure.XResearch source
- For an extra strong cleanse, leave your hematite out during dawn or dusk so it can absorb light from the sun and moon all at once.
3 3 of 11:Rest hematite on a piece of selenite.
- Stones like selenite cleanse other crystals when they come into contact. Simply place your hematite on top of a selenite slab or in a selenite bowl. Over the course of a few hours, the selenite will restore the hematite to a clear, energetic state.XResearch source
- Other cleansing crystals include quartz clusters, black tourmaline, and amethyst geodes.
- Selenite will also charge crystals you place on top of it, especially if the selenite has been in sunlight recently.XResearch source
- Selenite and other cleansing crystals are a great way to cleanse hematite jewelry, like rings or bracelets.XResearch source
4 4 of 11:Cover it with uncooked brown rice.
- Brown rice absorbs bad energy from healing stones and crystals. Fill a bowl with uncooked brown rice and place the hematite on top. Add more rice until it’s completely covered, then wait up to 24 hours or until your intuition tells you the stone has been restored.XResearch source
- Rub the stone with a soft polishing cloth afterward to remove any rice dust on the surface.
- Throw away the rice after the cleansing. It’s full of negative energy, so you definitely don’t want to cook or eat it.
5 5 of 11:Nestle hematite in Himalayan or sea salt.
- Salt is a natural cleanser with connections to the earth. Simply place your hematite in a bowl or container of sea salt or Himalayan salt, making sure it’s fully covered.XResearch source Take the container outside and let it sit for 24 hours while the hematite releases negative energy.XResearch source
- Make sure to use dry salt and not saltwater (a popular way to cleanse many other types of water-safe crystals).
- Try adding herbs like rosemary, sage, or sandalwood to the salt for additional cleansing power.XResearch source
6 6 of 11:Bury it in the earth for up to 3 days.
- Earth has cleansing powers that charge stones with grounding energy. Dig a small hole somewhere surrounded by plants and nature and cover your hematite with soil. Mark your burial spot and wait at least one full day and night (up to 3 days) to recover it.XResearch source
- Choose a spot that’s free of mud or puddles since hematite should not be wet for long.
- Wipe your hematite clean afterward with a soft cloth and a small amount of warm water if necessary.
- Hematite has an especially strong connection to the earth compared to many other stones and crystals.XResearch source
7 7 of 11:Wash it with sound waves for 10 minutes.
- Sound waves remove vibrational impurities from crystals. Lay your hematite near you and generate a constant tone with a tuning fork, singing bowl, or bell. If you don’t have these, sing or chant instead. Visualize resonant sound waves flowing over the stone and carrying negativity away into the air.XResearch source
- Sound waves are great for cleansing heavy stones that are hard to move or large collections of crystals all at one time.
- The exact pitch you generate doesn’t matter as long as you have a clear intention to cleanse the hematite before you begin.
8 8 of 11:Smudge the hematite with sage smoke.
- Sage has been used for its cleansing powers since ancient times. To smudge for cleansing, burn a sage stick on one end until it begins smoking, then place it in a ceramic or heat-safe bowl. With a feather, waft the smoke around your hematite with the intent of clearing it out for several minutes or until you sense it’s cleansed.XResearch source
- In place of sage, use Palo Santo or any herb that you have a connection to.
- Sage is antimicrobial, so it will also cleanse the air in the room or space around the stone.
- If you’re smudging inside, open some windows or doors to ventilate the space. Smudge outside if possible.
9 9 of 11:Use incense smoke to disperse negativity.
- Incense cleanses crystals and spiritually purifies the air around them. To cleanse with incense, burn an incense stick until it’s smoking, then place the stick in a holder. Grab your hematite and wave it around slowly in the smoke until you feel the weight of its impurities has been lifted.XResearch source
- If possible, use incense made from herbs that are native to your homeland or that you have a strong connection with.
- Try scents that are connected to the issues you want to solve with your hematite. For example, burning cedar or sandalwood is helpful for physical illness or financial stress.
10 10 of 11:Blow negativity away with your own breath.
- Your breath is a personal way to carry bad energy away into the air. Hold your hematite in your dominant hand, take a deep breath, and gently blow on the stone. Imagine all of its impurities drifting away while you ask the Universe to clear it of stale, stagnant energy.XResearch source
- Blow on the hematite for several minutes, or until you sense that it’s refreshed.
11 11 of 11:Visualize a bright light emanating from the stone.
- With focus and intent, you can cleanse hematite with just your mind. Hold the stone in one hand and imagine a pure, white, cleansing light coming from inside it. See the light flow and surround the stone, expelling all negative energy as it gets brighter and brighter.XResearch source
- There’s no “correct” amount of time it takes to cleanse a crystal. Use your intuition to feel whether the stone is cleansed or if it needs more time.
- Store your hematite in its own fabric-lined box or cloth pouch so it won’t get scratched by other stones or objects when you’re not using or wearing it.XResearch source
- Remove hematite jewelry for activities like cleaning, exercise, cooking, or while you’re applying cosmetics.
- To physically clean hematite, rub it with a soft-bristled brush, a jeweler’s polishing cloth, or even just your fingers to make its metallic surface shine.XResearch source
- To was hematite rings and jewelry, use a mild soap and warm water to wash away fingerprints, marks, and negativity. Use a soft brush or cloth to scrub.XResearch source
- Hematite ranges from 5.5 to 6.6 on the Mohs hardness scale, meaning it’s fairly susceptible to scratches and damage from other objects or chemicals.XResearch source
- Hematite contains iron oxide, which turns to rust when it's exposed to water for long periods of time. This rust can reach deep into the stone, making it more likely to break.XResearch source